Sunday, February 18, 2007

PM eschews ‘running commentary’

Further to an observation made by Ken at Surfdom back in December...

A Google search of Australian Prime Minister John Howard’s official website reveals many instances, going back to at least 1997, of the PM’s use of a favourite expression.

  • I am not going to give a running commentary on the movements from day to day. The last thing that Prime Ministers, Acting Prime Ministers, Treasurers, Central Bank Governors, anybody having any responsibility, is to give a running commentary.
  • I am not going to give a running commentary on the contributions of my colleagues.
  • Well I’m not going to give a running commentary on the running commentary of every managing director in this country.
  • Well I don’t think I can be in a position to give a running commentary on every single employment decision that’s made by a company, I just remind you that Australia has the lowest unemployment for 30 years.
  • I don’t think it helps for me to give a running commentary on every alleged indiscretion of the state government, I’d be going at it all day.
  • I don’t think there’s any sense in my sort of giving a running commentary. But the Bank controls interest rates, the Government doesn’t.
  • I’m not going to start giving another running commentary on that issue.
  • I don’t give a running commentary on operational police matters.
  • I’m not going to fall into the habit of giving a running commentary on every single decision that is taken about the length of a sentence.
  • I can’t give a running commentary on every possibility. I don’t even think it’s in the interests of the people there that I do so.
  • I’m not going to engage in a running commentary on every commentary made on this proposal.
  • Well perhaps I shouldn’t give a running commentary on a police investigation.
  • I can’t give a running commentary on each and every fuel price in each and every outlet in Australia.
  • I’m not going to give a running commentary on what is a commercial decision to be taken by the board and the managing directors of the two companies.
  • I’m not going to give a running commentary on a constitutional case before the High Court.
  • It’s not for me to give a running commentary on litigation between companies and unions.
  • Look I am not going to give some kind of running commentary about the future.
  • I’m not going to get into a running commentary on the internal machinations of the Australian Labor Party. I simply make the point that...

That’s just the samples I compiled before tiring of copying & pasting. (Use Google search for an exhaustive catalogue.)

But we get the picture: In day to day practice, the PM does not give running commentary on much of anything — unless perhaps on an issue of moment, or even a pet topic of his (e.g., popular sporting event or hero).

Quite understandably, Mr Howard is above that sort of thing. Where running commentary is actually required for political purposes, this is of course usually delegated to those acolytes such as Peter Costello, Tony Abbott, and lesser attack dogs.

But what’s really astounding about all this is that the PM seems to be constantly badgered by journalists to provide running commentary on everything.

Surely they could give the poor man a break and confine their questioning to specifics!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home