A chap I met at one of the endless Christmas parties related the following solution for keeping your dog from attacking the chooks, suggested in all seriousness as recommended by his old father.
You will need:
- Your dog,
- A large Hessian sack,
- A mature chicken (alive or dead, but whole including plumage); and
- A length of irrigation hose.
- Place the dog in the sack.
- Throw the chicken into the sack on top of the dog, briskly closing the sack into a tidy bundle.
- Soundly thrash contents with the hose, ignoring sundry yelps and various other noises and signs of distress.
- Release your dog from the bag.
If and when your dog emerges from under the house in a day or so, he will now think it was the chicken that beat the shit out of him, and should never trouble the chooks again.
Note: If this remedy is not effective, you’ll have to think of something drastic to solve your problem.